We are your one-stop shop to find all of the information you need to get money for college. On our website you will find information and links to some of the weirdest scholarships out there. We will tell you how to find them and how to apply. We will also give you tips on how to stay organized through the application process. Who doesn’t want free money for college? Well, when applying for scholarships, it can be very easy to become discouraged. Many scholarships have strict guidelines and can be difficult to obtain. Never fear, because there are more than just the typical options out there. There are hundreds of wacky, wild and weird scholarships that almost anyone can get. All you have to do is apply! From weird scholarships for being tall to winning marble contests, there truly is something for everyone. Many different organizations are involved, from big business to farmers. There is help for you with your college finances!
Our Top 15 Weird Scholarships
- Tall Scholarships- One of the more popular scholarships featured on this site. It focuses on those individuals who considered by our societies standards to be tall. Males must be over 6’1″ and women must be over 5’9″ to qualify for this weird gem.
- Little Scholarships- View this scholarship as the opposite of the one mentioned above. Not only does it focus on shorter individuals but it pays a pretty penny as well at $1,000.
- Prom Scholarship- There are few scholarships that allow you to have complete creative freedom. This is a scholarship that allows that. All you have to do is make a prom dress out of Duct Brand Tape! First prize wins $5,000.
- Welding Scholarships- If you are planning on majoring in welding then you should take a look at our page that is dedicated solely to the craft and the scholarships that accompany it.
- Milk Mustache Of The Year- Worth over $7,500 to 25 student athletes that maintain at least a 3.2 GPA. If this sounds like something your interested in take advantage while you can.
- Potato Scholarship- Do you have a hankering for some potatoes? Are you a potato lover? If so, then you may find this scholarship from the National Potato Council very appealing.
- Star Trek Grant- We know it sounds ridiculous but believe it or not there are actual scholarship awards out there for you knowledge of Star Trek. Take advantage Trekkies!
- L Ron Hubbard Scholarship- Are you a fan of creative writing? If so, you can get rewarded with this great scholarship offering for writers of the future?
- Parapsychology Scholarship- Ghosts, telepathic abilities and much more accompany this very weird scholarship. Learn more by clicking on the link!
- Fire Sprinklers?- We know it may sound a little funny but this is a legitimate scholarship. Win $2,000 for school by reading about fire sprinklers and taking a survey.
- Marbles Scholarship- This isn’t your average scholarship. Are you a fan of marbles? If so, you can put your talent with them to use and win a scholarship worth $1,500. Enter the National Marbles Tournament!
- Vegetarian Scholarship- It isn’t often that you come face to face with a scholarship like this that favors vegetarians. Perhaps the best thing about this scholarship is the fact that you can win up to $5,000.
- National Rifle Association Scholarship- Gun lovers listen up. You can win a scholarship worth $30,000 (which is a VERY significant amount).
- Christmas Trees!?- Are you in the mood for some holiday spirit? If you are then you should embark on the quest to find the perfect Christmas tree. This scholarship awards between $5,000 and $10,000.
- Sheep Scholarships?- Admittedly this isn’t a scholarship about sheep, it is about wool but that’s weird too right? If you are a fan of wool then you should check out this interesting offering.
Weird Ways to Fund Your College Education
Most prospective students seek financial aid to fund their college careers. One way to help fund your education is by finding scholarships that you may be eligible for. There are a few different types of scholarships available for many different groups of people. These range from academic merit-based to athletic scholarships. There are a number of weird scholarships available for those who do not fit into these categories. The most interesting scholarships a student can apply for can be placed into a category that can be called nothing other than strange.
There are scholarships for tall people. There are scholarships available from companies that are based on using their products creatively, like the Duck Brand Duct Tape Stuck on Prom Contest. You will find money available to you if you are left-handed, a vegetarian, play the bagpipes or enjoy fly fishing. If you enjoy community service, you may qualify for a scholarship. Are you a young member of the NRA? You may be eligible for free college money! If science fiction is an enjoyable pastime for you, enter the Writers and Illustrators of the Future Contest for a chance to win money to apply toward your education, or apply for a $500 scholarship if you are an avid Trekkie and a member of The Starfleet Academy. Writers, athletes, musicians, future farmers, bug lovers and future Einsteins will find plenty of scholarship opportunities available to them. Are you a red-head? Yes, there is a scholarship meant just for you!
Some of these weird scholarships require entering an essay contest; others do not. It is well worth the time and effort in your search for the strange to include as many of your off-the-wall interests as possible, as it seems the possibilities are endless. Be creative and search for odd scholarships that reflect your (weird) achievements. Perhaps you won first place in a food eating contest when you were 15. Why not consider searching for a scholarship from the sponsoring company? Writing about how many hot dogs you ate at the county fair may earn you a good chunk of change to spend on your course books! Maybe you have a talent for designing wacky inventions in your spare time. There may be companies out there who will give you money for writing a creative piece on an innovative product.
A student may obtain as many scholarships as they can to aid in funding their future, so by no means stick to conventional, traditional scholarships available. Think outside the box and you are likely to find and receive hundreds, perhaps thousands of dollars in help. Some may require you to enter a contest, but most simply have an odd requirement you must meet in order to receive the money. You have nothing to lose in seeking out other-than-traditional methods of paying for school. Search for scholarships that are based on your interests, no matter how strange they may seem. Finding money for college shouldn’t have to be so stressful or difficult. Have fun in the search!
Applying for Scholarships Just Got Weird
Attention prospective college students: you can get FREE MONEY for college. That’s right, free money. All you need to do is look for and apply for weird scholarships. Take your kookiest trait, perform an oddball activity, or play an obscure instrument – there is a weird scholarship for you. More and more people are looking for help with college expenses. Every year, about 20 percent more people apply for financial aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). These students should also look into scholarships, since that money does not need to be paid back. The average scholarship amount is around $2000, but there is no limit to how many scholarships you can win. Here is the Who, What, When, Where, and Why about weird scholarships!
Who can get a weird scholarship?
The great news is you do not have to be the star football player or a 4.0 student to win a scholarship. There are weird scholarships for everything from good bowlers to good knitters. Know how to play the bagpipes? There is a scholarship for you at Carnegie Mellon University. Interested in design? Design your own prom dress out of duct tape and you could win thousands of dollars for school. The best advice we can give you is to make a list of your traits and interests. From there, get on the computer and search for scholarships that fit you. Even if your trait is that you love to shop, that’s fine – Nordstrom offers 40 scholarships annually.
What is out there?
This site will explain hundreds of different scholarships out there. There are weird scholarships out there for everyone, from Trekkies, to redheads, to left-handed people or photographers. Almost every major corporation sponsors scholarships, and even local businesses give away money for college. There are a lot of benefits to businesses if they provide scholarship money to students, and most companies want to take advantage of this.
When are weird scholarship applications due?
Most scholarship applications are due in the spring; however, some scholarships are looking for winners at different times. Some scholarships take applications quarterly. Always visit the website of the company or organization offering the scholarship for the most up-to-date information.
Where can I apply?
Most scholarship applications need to go out your junior year in high school, but our site will show you scholarships for college students and graduate students. The great thing about weird scholarships is that a lot of them do not follow the traditional essay application format. While some do want you to turn in an essay, many have you send in samples of your work through artist samples or photographs, or they want you to fill out information on the computer.
Why should I apply for weird scholarships?
Student loan debt has now surpassed credit card debt as the worst type of debt in our country. An average student leaves college with around $23,000 in student loan debt. Scholarships are a way to cut into that debt. Scholarship money does not need to be paid back, and there are few strings attached. There is almost $830 billion in student loan debt out there right now, and so much of that will never be paid back.